Sunday, October 16, 2011

Controlling Our Emotions

Raising five little girls is akin to riding a roller coaster. The emotional drama here is unpredictable with it's ups and downs, and the situation isn't going to get any better as they get older. Plus, Mary isn't even really swimming in this pool of estrogen yet. I pray that she's not as "spirited" as some of her sisters.

We talk a a lot about controlling our emotions, and making a conscious decision to be good girls. Well, of late, I have been having the hardest time with this. While I'm a pretty even-keeled gal most of the time, I turn into a crazy lady when it comes to messes, especially pee and poop messes, which are a frequent occurrence in this house. I think my reaction to messes like these has rubbed off on the girls. Yesterday, after we discovered that my coffee had leaked all over the quilt we were loading up for a soccer game (a mess that didn't bother me at all, I'm ashamed to say, considering how I react to other accidents) Annie put her hands on her hips and announced, "Mommy, I am so mad at you right now!"

Oops. Apparently, I'm the one who needs to be controlling my emotions.

I will not lose my cool when someone poops in their bed.

I will not express my disappointment when someone "forgets" that they needed to pee.

I will not freak out when someone poops in their pants in the middle of someone else's soccer practice.

I will be a good girl.


- posted from my handy-dandy iPhone, with Blogpress

No comments: