Monday, October 19, 2009

What I Should've Said...

Here I am at glorious naptime, after another marathon morning out and about with all four girls. And, it wasn't even a school day. Megan and Bridget were vaccinated against swine flu today, so we all had to be at the pediatrician bright and early.

The morning started out, mercifully, with the babies waking at 6:45am after sleeping through the night - woohoo!!! We started sleep training, finally, just about a five days ago, and I'm happy to report that they've been sleeping pretty consistently from about 10pm to 7am for the past few nights. Anyway, this has resulted in super heavy diapers when they wake up, and today, they had each soaked their cribs. So, Good Morning to me with an extra load of laundry to do today :)

Anyway, we get to the pediatrician, with all of our rain gear on since it's raining, and the girls did so well getting their nasal vaccine. They've never had any medicine or spray up their nose, so I wasn't sure what to expect. Not even a whimper, though. So, they each got a Mike and Ike, and we headed back out to the waiting room, where someone I'll call Nosy Old Lady proceeds to give me her commentary on my family.

NOL: "Oh, four girls, How cute!"
Me: "Oh, thanks!"
NOL: "I had four children, too. But, I was lucky, and had a boy, then a girl, then a boy and another girl."
Me: "Oh." (as I was slightly distracted wiping Bridget's hands down after she handed me back her half-eaten Mike and Ike, and helped Megan redress in her rain gear)
NOL: Some nonsense about she invented the car seat shopping cover back in the day.

*******

Me: (in the car 20 minutes later after hauling everyone back out to the car, setting up the potty for two little girls, and buckling everyone up) "Whew! Okay girls, you were sooo good getting your medicine today. Let's go to the store to get you a special treat."

Then I started thinking about what I should have said to NOL: "Actually, I'm the lucky one. Can't you see how lucky I am to have such beautiful, healthy, well-behaved girls?" They just got liquid shot up their noses, and one of them is voluntarily holding the door open for me while I manuever the double stroller through, and the other is saying, "Bye Bye, baby fish. Bye Bye, Mommy Fish!" as we pass the aquarium on the way out.

This gets me thinking they really do deserve a special trip to Walgreens to pick out a treat, but I can't help but think about the logistics involved in this little stopover. It, of course, invloves hefting the double stroller back out of the van and.......wait just a minute. I don't really have a recent memory of hefting that stroller back in the van. I have a clear memory of dealing with the pee, and then hopping back in the car and taking off. We did not just...yes, we did. We left the stroller in the Stonestown parking lot!!!!

So, we made a loop back to Stonestown, where our pediatrician is, to (hopefully) find our stroller! Meanwhile, Megan's in the back lecturing, "Mommy, we need the stroller. We can't forget our stroller like that!" I am very aware of how badly we need that stroller, Megan.

Thankfully, it was right where we left it, and I quickly jumped out of the car and hefted it into it's home in the back of the van.

Next stop? Walgreens, where we all got out of the car and met another character I'll call Nosy Old Man.

NOM: "Are those twins? Wow, that's a burden!"

???????

This time, I responded right away, and said, "No, they're not. C'mon, girls. Let's go get our special treats."

5 comments:

Moriah said...

GOOD FOR YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cerissa said...

Oh Shawna-I laughed out loud after reading this. I could just hear Megan lecturing you and your face while she was doing so. She sounds just like Sabrina-typical first born huh? Im glad no one commendeered your stroller and good for you for putting NOM in his place. What the heck does he know about twins anyway??

Unknown said...

I hope you got yourself a treat too!

Sara said...

Love it!!

The Press Family said...

A burden?!? Wow. People say the most brazen, stupid things. When people say to me, "Wow, you have your full!" I jusy say, "better full than empty!"
What a day you had...such good girls, though.