Monday, February 4, 2013

The Babies

Obviously, the title of this post is just plain ridiculous.  I fully admit that.  These "babies" are nearing four years old, and we actually have a more babyish person in the house, yet I have to consciously stop myself from referring to Tessa and Annie as "the babies."  I do tell them, pretty much every day, that they will always be my babies, whether they like it or not.  But, it's high time I come up with another way to address them!  Sometimes they are the "babes" or just "the twins," and even sometimes Tessa and Annie :) For this post, they are the babies!


These babies have used and abused their "3" shirts this year, and I'm not sure they realize that turning 4 comes part and parcel with giving up the "3" shirt.  It goes with everything, in case you were wondering.  Similarly, shorts are totally fine on top of leggings :)



As much as I don't want to move on to year number 4 with these two, I am looking forward to shedding some less desirable behaviors this coming year.  I can honestly say we have never had writing on the wall in this house, until someone decided 3.75 years old was a good time to start.  That someone is Tessa, and it was ill-guided move on her part to write a "T."  Things could have gone much differently for her if she had done an "A."  Ah, soon she'll learn ;)


These two lead quite the charmed life.  Without that pesky thing called preschool, they get to go an adventures every day with Mommy and Mary, and also just stay home and play quite a bit.  I am so so spoiled by how much they entertain themselves.  They still disappear for hours at a time without a peep.  By this time next year with Mary at home while everyone else is at school, I'll be wishing Mary was a twin.  It'll be a shock to the system to have to (shudder!) entertain my own child!

When we're not lounging at home, Tessa and Annie know just how to sweet talk me into buying them coffee cake from Starbucks (two bags, one slice please!), and they love to decide the itinerary for the day.  Often, the plan is as simple as making their own peanut butter bagels and playing with the "big house."  They need my help getting the big Playmobil house down, but after that, I'm not needed!



Painting is always offered as an idea, but seldom welcomed by Mommy.  This was a lucky moment!


Park days and library days are more common...



Any plans of this kind take place after they have played for a sufficient amount of time after dropping the girls off at school.  The schoolyard will be empty and quiet save for the echoes and commotion these two create while they have the hopscotch squares and basketball poles all to them myself.  They perfect their number jumping, have at least 10 races between the basketball poles, and hold a wedding on a set of nearby steps before they're ready to pile back in to the van.  It's an early morning exercise session for all of us!


Recently, they were invited to their first birthday party for a cute little friend they met while touring preschools.  This was a big treat!  No other sisters came, so it was a treat for me too :)  We had many conversations leading up to this event, eagerly anticipating "ours friend."  ("Wait. What's ours friend's name, Mommy?"  Details.)  As soon as we arrived at the party, Tessa and Annie surrounded the birthday girl, each pulled one of her hands,  and asked in unison,  "Can you show us yours room?  Show us where yours room is."  I love that they both still mix up their pronouns, and I can't correct them...yet.  Maybe when they're 4.


These little sweeties of mine also helped me make a wreath for Valentine's Day.  It was slow-going since they insisted on handing me each color.  Annie would ask, "What color do you need now, Mommy?"  "Oh, pink?  Okay!  Comin' right up!"  They were pretty adorable crafting buddies.




This month, we need to put down a deposit for these girls' preschool tuition for the fall, and I'm already getting sappy about them being in school five days a week at that point.  I'll miss our easy days that they fill so effortlessly by playing with each other.   I know they'll flourish at school, but I'm already mourning the end of this era.  I just need to appreciate the next several months with these babies :)












No comments: